Wednesday, March 2, 2011

rexall place

I know this week's blog post is more open than other weeks, but I really like the optional prompt, so I'm going to go with that. The prompt is "if you had to choose a single Edmonton location to write about, what would it be and why?". I immediately thought of Groat Road, because my perception of it has changed since being in this class, but I already briefly mentioned it in another post, so I want to switch things up. I then thought of Hawrelak Park, but I feel like saving that for another post maybe, and I feel like a lot of people might write about a place in Edmonton because of it's beauty, etc... I want to be different. So, I'm going to write about Rexall Place. Hopefully that is unexpected to some of you.... but it shouldn't be THAT unexpected, since we live in one of the biggest hockey cities in North America. I want to wite about Rexall Place for that reason mostly. It is such an important part of Edmonton culture, because our hockey team, the Oilers, have such an effect on many of our citizens. You may not be an Oilers fan yourself, but you can't argue the massive popularity of the team, or it's effect on our city's culture. Anybody can see the popularity of the Oilers if you walk a street, mall or university campus on game day and witness all of the Oilers jerseys, or  log onto Facebook during a game and read all of the emotional statuses about the game.

Over many hockey-crazed years, Rexall Place has become an iconic building in Edmonton, in my opinion. Recently, however, there have been talks and plans regarding getting rid of it, mostly because it's old. I can see pros(players want new ice, fans want more seats, a new building will make our city look more modern, etc) and cons(it will cost a lot to build a new arena district). to this idea. I'm actually for the building of a new arena district, but I'll definitely miss Rexall Place when it's gone. I think it's important to our city. I also think the new arena will become just as iconic.

1 comment:

  1. Rexall "Place" to me is a hub of business.
    Every night millions of dollars are made and lost.
    The shape of the building reminds me of a tire layed flat on the ground. Its tread is worn and tired. Inside the air (people) inflate the space and create an exciting atmosphere in which singular particles join to become something more.
    After every game "the leak" re-opens (sometimes there is a slow leak which begins while the game is still on....if the score is not in the crowds favour) and the air escapes from the tire filling the surround space (especially the LRT station).

    Rexall place is poorly designed and inefficient but, as you note, a significant meeting place which unifies many otherwise dissimilar people. I love that factor of ice hockey and I guess Rexall is the hub which creates that place of unification.

    ReplyDelete