Friday, March 11, 2011

catch up

To summarize all that I've learned so far in 380, I can say that I've learned how to appreciate this city. I'm one of the ones who had nothing positive to say about Edmonton on the first day of class. I still don't want to live here for the rest of my life, but at least now I can see some positives. Something that surprised me was how the movie about the High Level Bridge really opened my eyes to the city. Here was a filmmaker, using sarcasm and humor, pointing out how friggen dreary and awful Edmonton is for most of the year. I'm not the only one who noticed!!!

I always feel like I'm the only one who can't get out of bed when it's -25, or who actually gets a little depressed when the leaves fall because I know I'm headed for at least 7 months of cold. Edmonton has it's negatives, and I definitely pick up on a lot of them, but I have learned about quite a few positives as well. And after watching that film in class, I feel like at least we're all in it together. Edmonton feels like home in a way that whatever city I move to in the future might never quite equal.

1 comment:

  1. "Edmonton feels like home in a way that whatever city I move to in the future might never quite equal."

    I really like how you said that, and sometimes I ponder the exact same thing. It's so easy to point out the things that you despise about where you live, and I often hear people talking about how badly they want to move. When you think about it, if you moved somewhere else, who's to say that it will be better than here? Maybe there's people in Miami who think it's too hot all the time and would rather live in Edmonton (doubtful but you never know!)

    Changing your location every so often is probably a good thing. I can't imagine living in one place for your entire life. Either way, I think we all have memories from Edmonton that could never be experienced again regardless of where we go.

    Completely agree with you on those -25 days and the fall though. It's usually a good thing when there's no school or work that day when you make the decision to stay in bed. :P

    ReplyDelete